Making the Elderly Happy – That is What counts!
By volunteering, you can discover the joy and beauty of serving the elderly through the many volunteer opportunities which exist at our Home: visit and serve meals to the Residents, assist with organized activities especially in the arts and crafts departments, drive Residents to outside appointments, help beautify the grounds and assist in the administration offices.A little of your time makes a big difference in the lives of an elderly person.
We ask that our volunteers come with plenty of energy, willingness to work and a smile. In addition, we require:
- Time commitment: We ask our volunteers to commit to a set number of hours per week and to a minimum length of service. This helps us support continuity of services for our Residents. Specific commitment requirements vary. Speak with the volunteer coordinator to determine how your schedule and talents can fit the needs of the Home.
- Proceed through the orientation and training program before beginning your volunteer service
- Medical requirements: Since we care for the elderly, there are medical requirements that volunteers must meet before they begin their volunteer activities. Please pick up a form from the front desk. Before serving as a volunteer, you must
- Have received a physical exam within the previous 12 months
- Have a PPD test for tuberculosis
- Provide proof of flu shot or agree to wear a mask during the flu season
“They say youth is wasted on the young and time is wasted by the lazy. I’m not young anymore and volunteering keeps me busy and happy. Giving back is a good thing.” -Artie
“I look forward to my Tuesdays at Queen of Peace. It’s very fulfilling to help the sisters do their wonderful work. The residents are loveable and grateful as I am to spend time with them.” -John
“Giving back is rewarding. Queen of Peace offers so many ways to contribute knowing that I am doing God’s work.” -Carol
For more information, please contact Eileen McDonough at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 718.464.1800